Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Week Four

This will be a short week, we have some traveling to do. Yay for Six Flags with the family!

Day One

Pork sandwiches

Using the leftover pork from carnitas to make sandwiches. I'll use balillo rolls, muenster cheese slices, caramelized onions, and a bit of broth from roast the night before. I will also be serving this with asparagus- which isn't really fitting for the meal but it was on sale and fresh, so I had to have it. I will sautee the asparagus in olive oil with fresh garlic until just done.


Day Two

Chili

I am making chili tonight so that on Saturday, while Aaron and I are partying it up at our friends wedding, the kids and in laws will have a good leftover meal. This is usually the time of year where we don't make much chili. We had it twice monthly over the winter and are awaiting the taste of fresh tomatoes. Sometimes I make extra just to use for chili cheese burritos a couple nights later. I reduce it on the stove then process it into an almost paste like substance, add to tortillas with cheese, onion, sour cream and or avocado. I can't really share my recipe with you as I never actually measure. I just taste and add as I go.

1 lb ground turkey
2 cans organic hot chili beans
2 cans black beans
one large onion, diced
one bell pepper, diced
five cloves garlic, minced
four cans stewed tomatoes, diced
chili powder
cumin
garlic powder
salt
black pepper
cayenne pepper
onion powder
dash of curry powder
minced hot peppers

I puree one can of black beans in a processor with most of the seasoning and garlic to make it thick and hearty. That's the way everyone here likes it: ) Cook all together and allow to reduce for at least an hour and a half. Serve with saltines, shredded cheese and or sour cream.


Day Three

Beef and shrimp stir fry


sugar snap peas
mushrooms
onions
peppers
broccoli
3/4 pound sliced beef
1/2 pound shelled and deveined shrimp
stir fry sauce
1 cup rice- cooked according to package directions

saute each of the first five ingredients one at a time until just done, removing and setting aside in a large bowl after each is done. Then cook shrimp until just done, remove. Repeat with beef. Add all cooked ingredients back together and mix with stir fry sauce. Serve over rice


Day Four

leftover chili
(I sometimes use the leftover chili to make chili cheese burritos)

Day Five

traveling

Day Six

traveling


Day Seven

Chili dogs

I know, I know, processed foods are poison, but sometimes you gotta give into cravings. I will use kosher dogs at least.

hot dog buns
shredded cheddar
hot dogs
premade hot dog sauce (or leftover chili, processed until pasty)
mustard
jalapenos

serve with

canned green beans



Day Eight (trying to minimize the grocery trips)

Chicken fajitas

1.5 lbs chicken, cut into slices
mushrooms, sliced or quartered
sweet peppers, julienne
two onions, halved then sliced thin
one fresh lime
ground cumin
ground chili powder
paprika
salt
black pepper
tortillas
shredded cheese
avocado, cut into slices
fresh salsa

cook first 4 ingredients until just done, season generously with cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper ( I don't measure, sorry). Squeeze juice from lime than add to mix. serve on tortillas with last three ingredients to garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment